Working cargo

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An interesting morning – I got reprimanded for eating breakfast during my watch as opposed to before my watch started. I am going to have to learn not to take criticism personally when I’m on the job. I’m not as tough as I’d like to be sometimes, and I *hate* getting yelled at. I went below and sulked for a moment, then turned to.

I can see Sitka off in the distance – we’ll be there in a couple of hours and will spend several hours doing cargo once we arrive. I don’t know how long we will be in the area; we should get moving again pretty quickly, now headed straight for the Prince William Sound as far as I know.

Here is a shot of the fidley (it’s like a mud room, aft of the galley and above the engine room; everything from rain gear and boots to deck maintenance equipment is stored in this room)

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Our brief stop in Sitka on February 2nd was a pleasant one – I worked cargo for the first time since joining the boat. The weather was mild and the water and surrounding land were pristine. It was dusk when we arrived at the terminal, and the light of the setting sun made everything calm and golden. It was so beautiful! I had many thoughts to myself while I was working on the barge, most of them being how glad I was at that moment to be alive and out in the open, working in the fresh air as opposed to sitting at a desk in a stuffy, dusty office lit by fluorescent lights. My last job made it clear to me that I could never again in my life work in an office. I need to move, to travel, to see new places and be out in the open air. I really liked working on the barge – there was no mystery to it. I had been nervously anticipating working cargo, worrying that it might be too strenuous or complicated for me to keep up. But quite honestly, I found out that it was all really very simple. My favorite part is shaking the chains down from the corner castings. I need to wear earplugs though because the racket is incredible when the chains and the dogs come crashing to the deck.

I got yelled at again by the mate last night for showing up in the wheelhouse about 7 minutes late for my watch. I’m ashamed to admit that this time I cried. I need to get a grip. I’m not sure what it will take, but if I am going to make it on board these boats, I’m going to have to do something.

2 thoughts on “Working cargo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s